Federal Skilled Trades Class​

This program is made for people who want to become permanent resident based on their work experience in a skilled trade. You should know that, from a province to another, you might find different licensing requirements. On another note, not all trades are regulated (requires a licence). Therefore, you need to consult with the regulatory body or professional association in the province of your destination to have a clearer idea about what to expect. You can explore the details of this program in the section below or you can watch this video where I am summarizing the most important aspects you should know. 


Work experience:


This program has the following requirements:


  • Skilled work experience under one of the following groups (all of them are type B):
    • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
    • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
    • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
    • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
    • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
    • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers
  • A minimum of 2 years of full-time work experience or an equal amount in part-time in a skilled trade within the last 5 years preceding the date when you submit your application. 
  • Meeting the job requirements of that job except the need of a certificate of qualification
  • Job experience in accordance with the lead statement, the essential duties and most of the main duties set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) of the job.


Job offer or Certificate of qualification:


Another requirement is to have a valid full-time job offer for at least 1 year. It can be made by up to two employers in a job with NOC starting with 72, 73, 82, 92, 632 or 633. There are some other requirements related to the LMIA, the applicant’s work history and to other specifics. Or, you have a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by Canadian provincial territorial or federal authority. Here’s a video about how to obtain that certificate



Although there is no minimum education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Class, some NOCs have a minimum education requirement that has to be met in order for a work experience to be recognized.


If your degree is issued by an learning institution outside Canada (in your country of origin for example), then you can proceed with an Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) with one of the following designated organizations to increase your score:



Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to complete an application with WES.

Once your assessment is done, you will get a report showing the Canadian equivalency of your foreign education which you can use to determine how many points you get on this item in the six selection factors grid. That report is valid for a period of 5 years.


The minimum language level for this program is:

Speaking / listening
Reading / writing

Many successful candidates take both English and French tests to maximize their score and have better chances to get selected in the Express Entry pool. Your second official language test gives you additional points only if you score CLB/NCLC 5 or more in the four language abilities. A language test is valid for 2 years only, after which you should write a new one.


You must take one of the following approved language tests:


  • CELPIP General: General-LS is not accepted in this program.
  • IELTS General: IELTS Academic is not accepted in this program.
  • TEF Canada (not TEF): All tests written on or after March 1, 2020 must be TEF Canada and not TEF. It must include the four skills (compréhension de l’écrit, compréhension de l’oral, expression écrite et expression orale)
  • TCF Canada: It must include the four skills (compréhension de l’écrit, compréhension de l’oral, expression écrite et expression orale)


IELTS to CLB and TEF Canada/TCF Canada to NCLC:


You can convert your language test results into CLB or NCLC according to the following tables:


All applicant must be 18 years old or older. There is no maximum age under this program.


Proof of funds:

The funds you need to prove depend on the size of your family (spouse and children). Here’s a table of how much money you need according the 2020’s data:

Number of family members (including yourself)

Funds required (in Canadian dollars)

For each additional family member

The amount must be immediately available and accessible to you such as cash, stocks, bonds, cheques, money orders, etc both when you apply and when your permanent resident visa is issued. If you are married, you can add up the money you have together in order for you to meet the minimum threshold. Bank statement or attestation of funds (with specific requirements) delivered by a financial institution are very common proofs of funds. This said, you cannot count your car, house or jewellery as part of your funds.


Exemptions from a proof of funds:

You don’t need to proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your family when you are authorized to work in Canada and have received a valid job offer.



Inadmissibility can occur due to criminal history, security grounds, health issues, misrepresentation, financial situation and other legal matters. There are ways to overcome inadmissibility on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you need us to study you case and provide you with a legal assistance on one or more of these aspects.


Intention to live outside Quebec:

You cannot use this program if you intend to settle in the province of Quebec. The latter has its own skilled workers program that you can check out on Quebec’s official website.