Canadian Experience Class​

This program is designed for skilled workers who have acquired work experience in Canada and want to become permanent residents. 


Work experience: 

Your work experience in Canada must be:


  • Of at least 1 year during the last 3 years before you apply
  • Full-time or equivalent in part-time 
  • Has been gained legally
  • In a job type 0, A or B
  • In accordance with the lead statement, the essential duties and most of the main duties set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) of the job.


Your work experience can be in one or more jobs as long as they are within NOC 0, A or B. Self-employment and work while studying in Canada don’t count towards the minimum required. 



Although there is no minimum education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class, some NOCs have a minimum education requirement that has to be met in order for a work experience to be recognized.


If your degree is issued by an learning institution outside Canada (in your country of origin for example), then you can proceed with an Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) with one of the following designated organizations to increase your score:



Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to complete an application with WES.

Once your assessment is done, you will get a report showing the Canadian equivalency of your foreign education which you can use to determine how many points you get on this item in the six selection factors grid. That report is valid for a period of 5 years.


If your work experience is in an NOC 0 or A, then the minimum language level is CLB/NCLC 7; if it is in an NOC B, then you need only CLB/NCLC 5. Many successful candidates take both English and French tests to maximize their score and have better chances to get selected in the Express Entry pool. Your second official language test gives you additional points only if you score CLB/NCLC 5 or more in the four language abilities. A language test is valid for 2 years only, after which you should write a new one.


You must take one of the following approved language tests:


  • CELPIP General: General-LS is not accepted in this program.
  • IELTS General: IELTS Academic is not accepted in this program.
  • TEF Canada (not TEF): All tests written on or after March 1, 2020 must be TEF Canada and not TEF. It must include the four skills (compréhension de l’écrit, compréhension de l’oral, expression écrite et expression orale)
  • TCF Canada: It must include the four skills (compréhension de l’écrit, compréhension de l’oral, expression écrite et expression orale)


IELTS to CLB and TEF Canada/TCF Canada to NCLC:


You can convert your language test results into CLB or NCLC according to the following solution:


Inadmissibility can occur due to criminal history, security grounds, health issues, misrepresentation, financial situation and other legal matters. There are ways to overcome inadmissibility on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you need us to study you case and provide you with a legal assistance on one or more of these aspects.


Intention to live outside Quebec:


You cannot use this program if you intend to settle in the province of Quebec. The latter has its own skilled workers program that you can check out on Quebec’s official website.